AT THE HEART THE TGE CONFERENCE IS THE CMU+TGE PROGRAMME – CURATED AND HOSTED BY THE MUSIC BUSINESS EXPERTS AT CMU.
The CMU+TGE programme combines briefings and insight sessions with expert interviews and lively panel discussions to help delegates navigate and understand the very latest trends and developments in the music business.
THE CMU+TGE PROGRAMME 2021
The CMU+TGE programme is split into three key strands. Our 2021 strands – presented as part of our online edition of The Great Escape – are as follows…
FUTURE MUSIC TALENT will look at how music educators and the music industry can better support entrepreneurial early-career music-makers, how COVID has impacted on the fanbase building process for DIY phase artists, and why it’s more important than ever to educate the creative community about copyright and data.
• Everything an aspiring artist needs to know – and how to teach it
• What the fanbase building process involves in 2021
• Continued professional development in the music business
FUTURE MUSIC STRATEGIES – supported by BPI – will consider the latest trends in streaming, fanbase building and the direct-to-fan relationship, and investigate what the touring and festival markets will look like in the post-COVID, post-Brexit world. What technologies, data, influencers, partnerships and strategies will be essential for success in the years ahead?
• Maximising the power of fan data
• The future of festivals, ticketing and touring
• Getting rights data right
• Influencing the influencers
FUTURE MUSIC WORLD will investigate and celebrate initiatives that are making the music world more diverse, more sustainable and more healthy, and consider the role music-makers and the music industry can play in tackling prejudice in society, addressing the climate emergency, and rebuilding communities as we recover from the pandemic.
• How to make diversity initiatives that truly deliver
• Has the digital revolution liberated or locked out music-makers?
• Cancel culture: good, bad or non-existent?
WHO ARE CMU?
CMU helps people to navigate and understand the music business through media, training, research and events.
CMU reports on key developments in music and the music industry every weekday through the CMU Daily bulletin and every week with the Setlist podcast, helping music people navigate and understand everything that’s going on.
CMU Insights provides training to thousands of music industry professionals every year – explaining the ins and outs of the business of music – while also under-taking ground-breaking research into streaming, royalties, artist deals, digital distribution, festivals, education and marketing.
CMU:DIY works with early career artists and future industry talent helping them to truly understand the business.
The CMU+TGE Conference brings all this knowledge and insight into once place, helping TGE delegates get up to speed, to understand, to dissect, to analyse, to debate and to inform the key trends, developments, opportunities and challenges in the music industry today.
The CMU+TGE Conference is truly unique for a number of reasons.
1. Because CMU reports on the music industry every day, our conference is more timely, more incisive and more forward looking.
2. Because CMU Insights is a leading provider of music business training, our conference includes a number of more formal training elements, helping delegates to navigate and understand the complexities behind current developments and trends.
3. Because we have three focused strands, we can dig much deeper than any other music conference into the issues and challenges the business faces today.
4. Because we prioritise talks and interviews in our programme, the industry experts on stage can present their insights and case studies in a more detailed and digestible way.
5. Because the CMU+TGE Conference is truly editorially driven, we are able to identify the key challenges and opportunities and find the people best equipped to discuss them.